Wednesday, 5 October 2011

Blue 67 was a surprise



On my way to Model Rail HQ at an un-Godly hour yesterday morning, I spotted a pair of 67s at Doncaster station. One of which was resplendent in a fresh coat of blue. After quizzing my colleague Richard Clinnick (of RAIL magazine), it seems that a few of these locomotives have received the Arriva Trains Wales colours in preparation for them taking over the WAG express services (Holyhead-Cardiff) from the hired-in Class 57s. I suppose this makes sense as DB Schenker, the owners of the Class 67s, are a major shareholder of Arriva Trains.

Anyway, apologies for the poor images above, but I only had my phone with me and ATW blue 67001 can be seen hiding behind EWS liveried 67022, which was ticking over on stand-by duty.
The 67s suit the blue, but I'm not sure about the light grey roof; never a good idea for diesel traction. I believe that they'll be gaining some vinyl logos in due course.

There are more (and better) images of 67003, also in ATW blue on the Railway Herald website. Click this LINK to go straight there...

No comments:

Post a Comment