Wednesday, 28 March 2012

LIFT ME UP

With an hour to kill, a crane is begotten.
With a corner of my 'O' gauge diorama yet to fill, I picked up a Peco kit of a yard crane (LK-735) and, whilst listening to the footy on the radio last night, I managed to put it together. As with most other Peco plastic kits, the parts are supremely well moulded, with only a minor amount of remedial work needed before gluing the bits together. 

The wire support arms are a nice touch and, believe it or not, all the gear wheels and handles actually work - though I'm not sure if they will once it's all primed and painted. The instructions recommend painting all the parts separately before assembly, but where's the fun in that, especially when faced with an hour or so of bonus modelling time in the evening. There are times when the urge to simply put something together outweighs the more practical voice that tells you to work more methodically. Besides, for what I have in mind, it'll make no difference whether it was painted before or after assembly. 

Stay tuned for more progress...

All the gears can be operated by turning the lower handle, but you need to take care not to get any stray glue in their workings during assembly.

1 comment:

  1. I’ll be watching this as I will be getting one this weekend?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...