Tuesday, 10 April 2012

NEW FROM THE GOLDEN VALLEY

 Exciting range of models commissioned by On Tracks.





I recently received an electronic copy of the new catalogue from Golden Valley Hobbies and there are some very exciting projects in the pipeline. Readers may have already seen images and news of the NCB-branded Barclay 0-6-0T adapted from the Electrotren 'HO' range and I've got my eye on one of these for my own colliery layout. But, there are a number of War Department vehicles that may also prove a drain on my piggy bank.

Firstly, the wonderful little Breuer shunting tractor (Rivarossi) is being made available not only in BR livery but in Allied WD condition which will be perfect for my WW2 North African layout. Incidentally, the BR version is based on an example captured in Libya and repatriated for use in military and quarry interchange sidings up to the late 1940s. The other little wonder is a rail-adapted Land Rover commission from Oxford die-cast. Although it's not a powered model, it'll look great parked in a siding on a 1960s-era military railway. I came across images of similarly adapted US 'Willy' Jeeps in WW2, in use by British troops in Burma, while in the photo archives of the Imperial War Museum a couple of years ago.

The catalogue includes other highlights, such as the ubiquitous DB ferry van that was a common sight in the UK in the 1940s and 1950s, plus other military loco, wagon and carriage subjects. Plus, there are a number of more recent train ferry wagons for the 1970-1990s BR modeller.

Each model is being produced in limited quantities only, so you may need to act fast to secure the products you need. More info will appear in the next Model Rail magazine (out on 19 April) or contact Golden Valley Hobbies direct, via On Tracks.






5 comments:

  1. I presume these are HO scale, rather than OO, which is what OnTracks' website says?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel,
    The majority of products are, indeed, produced in HO scale, save for the Land Rover, which is OO. This is a down to the fact that most of the limited-run commissions are based on existing Continental HO product lines (including the NCB 0-6-0T).
    Cheers,
    George.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please help, I'm puzzled! You say "the Breuer shunting tractor (Rivarossi) is being made available not only in BR livery but in Allied WD condition which will be perfect for my WW2 North African layout. Incidentally, the BR version is based on an example captured in Libya."

    Have I understood correctly that BR operated one of these vehicles? I never saw it listed in my Ian Allan ABC locospotter books, nor have I heard such a story before. Is this a fact or another 'supposition' on the part of OnTracks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrew,
    As far as I know (but I'm certainly no expert on this subject), the BR-era model represents a similar tractor unit brought back to Britain for use in military & industrial sidings. I'm not sure if it was actually part of BR's capital stock or if it belonged to the military. You'd be better contacting Golden Valley Models direct (via www.ontracks.co.uk) for more information.
    All the best,
    George.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks George! I'll file this loco under the same category as their pure-bred Spanish 0-6-0T that they choose to letter as National Coal Board! Cheers, Andy Emmerson.

    ReplyDelete