Monday, 28 May 2012

SHED STACKER

Weekend sees shed organised (a bit).


In the scorching heat of the weekend, I managed to re-clad another section of my shed, inside and out, leaving just one side left to do. Things are getting exciting, as I've been waiting years to get my shed sorted into some form of organised arrangement. Hopefully, it'll make working on my various layout projects much more straightforward. Although I won't be able to set them up for running inside, they're all designed for quick setting up on trestles on the patio or in the dining room. However, there is room for each of the baseboards to be worked on separately, which is the main thing.

After the heavy work of demolishing and rebuilding one wall, I just had enough timber left to construct a simple but effective layout stacker, designed for easy storage of each of my various 4ft baseboards. With space for four 'OO' boards (and a single 'N' project squeezed in), workbench behind the camera allows for work on the fifth one (Maudetown's extension). It's now easy to swap between, with the shelf runners being lubricated (rubbed with a candle) to ease sliding the boards on and off.

The only fly in the ointment is my diorama of Dent station (seen above, laid on the floor with its back to the camera), which is longer than all my other boards. It's future is doubt for a number of reasons, not least as 12 years has seen very little real progress. One idea is to keep the board, but swap over to 'N' gauge and get much more of the scenery in, which was the whole reason for me choosing Dent in the first place. There's no way that the boards will not be used for something, however, as they're the best I've ever built, back in the days when I had time to cut dovetail and half-lap joints by hand...


Maudetown's No.1 baseboard atop its new perch. After years of my layouts being dumped wherever I could find space and many, many breakages, the new stacking shelves should keep them in one piece. Clear plastic dust sheets keep them clean.

2 comments:

  1. I also store layouts in a shed / summer house - one of which is fixed and operational. To cover when not in use, I use black garden fabric, the type used to put over beds to stop weeds growing, as it's breathable - which I've always assumed was a good idea given the temperature ranges involved. Even cardboard buildings seem to survive the wettest winter (and droughts) ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Graham,
    Thanks for the comment. The garden fabric idea is a good one. As I regularly remove the dust covers for photography, I've never really worries about the layouts breathing - they're seldom left for more than a few days without being disturbed. But it's an important factor to bear in mind.
    Cheers,
    George.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...