TRESTLE WAGON UPGRADE

The next issue of Model Rail magazine - on sale March 18th - includes a demo of how I upgraded this OO gauge Parkside plastic wagon kit, by scratch-building a set of wooden trestles. The real timber replaced the plastic components, providing authentic texture and colouring, something that plastic seldom captures. The load of sheet metal was also created from scratch, using more 'real' material, in this case lead sheet.

The finished wagon is an eye-catching addition to my late-1960s/early 1970s era freight stock and the project proved very enjoyable. I've built a couple of these now, with another quartet still to do, so they should keep me busy for the next few weeks. 

Since taking over as Editor of Model Rail last year, it's been difficult to find time to do all the modelling projects I'd originally planned for the upcoming year. That said, at least I now get the final say on what projects I prioritise, so it's not all bad!


 

Comments

Popular Posts