Thursday, 25 March 2010

Sand Blasting (& wagon update)

Is that a ghost cat in the background?
Been experimenting with my latest 'toy' - a Badger abrasive spray gun. Bought to assist with stripping models prior to repaints, I thought it might speed up the process. Initial trials haven't been as succesful as I'd imagined and it took a little time to study the instructions and get the tool set up correctly. As it requires a regular pressure of around 40psi, this is proving a tad too much for my little compressor that is more used to puttering away at around 15psi! Still, with a bit more time, I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.
Incidentally, the ViTrains 37 above was stripped with Phoenix Superstrip first and the small remnants of paint and primer were blasted away with the abrasive powder. The image above is a staged photo and, as is often the case, as soon as the spotlights click on in my makeshift studio, little Maude assumes it's portrait time and will go to incredible lengths to get in the shot... I could really bore you with a tale of when Telerail came here to film the final segment of The Scenic Expert DVD, when she threw herself at the door of my workshop for hours trying to get in on the action... but I won't.
Below is a couple of images of wagon kits progressing towards completion. I've enjoyed building the Irish cement wagon and am considering ordering a few more to assemble for an Irish themed diorama/micro layout I'm planning. Also, another Chivers 21tonner is also awaiting final varnishing and weathering. I've experimented with hand lettering using my old trusty Rotring pen (from Art College days) and a fresh pot of white ink. It's not perfect but the vehicle will be heavily weathered, so I may get away with it. Finished images will follow in time...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...