ALL TRESTLED UP


With a beer in hand (a bottle of Dent Brewery's Golden Fleece - very nice) and the Liverpool match on the radio, last night was spent building a OO Parkside Dundas BR Trestle wagon. Very similar to an LMS design, the kit's OK as far as detail is concerned although, being an older moulding, there's quite a bit of flash to remove from the various components before assembly can begin.

What I found most at fault was the plastic trestle sections which are very... well... plasticky. There's no wood grain effect and it would take some skilful painting to get them to look right. So I haven't bothered and have made use of some strip boxwood and have used the plastic bits as a pattern from which to cut each component. Now the glue has dried, it can be stained with wood dye. I also need to add some steel strengthening brackets (from brass or thin Plastikard), which sounds like a nice job for the weekend.

Comments

  1. George, soon there is going to be an article from my hand in Model Rail (October 2012, if I remember correctly) how to imitate wood effect very easy. One can definitely apply that on this model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sven,
      Yes indeed, I've seen your article on recreating wood effects and it's given me some hints and tips!
      Cheers,
      George.

      Delete
    2. George,
      One of the traps we rail modellers fall into is overstating the grain on strip wood when we use it. Your finish looks just right. Perhaps you might consider putting a fe gouges near the bottom of the timbers where the bottom of the sheet would land against it as it was laid down.

      Delete
    3. Hi Russell,
      Thanks for the comment. Sounds like a good idea to distress the timber a bit - think I'll give it a try.
      Cheers,
      George.

      Delete
  2. George, how much box wood did this require?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Duncan. The wood was bought in strips about 16in long, from my local Hobbycraft store. I can't remember the exact sizes used - the wagon's packed up in the attic now so I can't measure it - but it was something like 2 strips of 6mmx2mm and 1 strip of 6x4mm.
      Cheers,
      George.

      Delete
    2. George, was it box wood or basswood. I have searched hobbycraft and can find only the latter. Ironically I purchased a block of boxwood from a harwood dealer but that will need careful splitting and I lack the nerve!

      Delete
    3. Hi Duncan,
      Can't remember what wood it was, but boxwood and basswood are virtually identical!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts