Monday, 16 June 2014

AIRFIX SPITFIRE 5

Weathering brings the model to life


Here are some shots showing progress on the 1:72 scale Spitfire Mk1, with weathering almost complete. I've used a combination of Humbrol washes and Tamiya paints, applied by hand and airbrush. The exhausts have been installed after being treated separately to a textured, metallic finish - an experiment which has been wholly successful!

After a few coats of Tamiya metallic grey, various 'rusty' enamel washes were applied to the exhausts, followed by airbrushed shading and smoke effects using Lifecolor acrylics, which have a very nice matt pigment. It's hard to see in the photos, but the finished effect is really pleasing, with the texture of the metallic paint still being visible.

Quite a bit to do yet, including masking and painting the canopy and fitting all the delicate details, including the landing gear. That might have to wait a week or two, as press day nears for issue 198 of Model Rail - and I have to get on with my 'real' job!

The detailed cockpit interior is helped by Airfix's inclusion of a decal for the 'dashboard'. I've tried to recreate the typical paint chipping around the wing roots where pilots and ground crew clambered aboard.

This was achieved with an old piece of sponge and a mix of grey acrylic paints.

No comments:

Post a Comment