THE CASE FOR RAILWAY NATIONALISATION



I've had a week's holiday this week, catching up on domestic chores: decorating, digging the allotment, and servicing my car. Oh, and it was my birthday too, so I also managed to squeeze in a trip to East Yorkshire to visit our favourite antique dealer in Pocklington. We used to live near 'Pock', so it was nice to have a look around, for old time's sake. Bought an Edwardian chamber pot cupboard, which should come in useful...

I also came across this interesting little book, entitled The Case For Railway Nationalisation, by Emil Davies. Written just before the start of World War One, it's a fascinating treatise on how poorly, in his opinion, Britain's railway companies were operated. There's also a damning look into how the companies treated their staff. It was obviously a passionate subject for Mr Davies. One can only wonder what he'd make of today's privatised railway...


On the subject of writing books, my third volume for The Crowood Press is progressing slowly but surely, although Maude has been staging a lie-down protest on my computer at regular intervals. I hope it's not my manuscript that is sending her to sleep..?

She did take more of an interest in the script for the next Model Rail DVD, however.

Comments

  1. Maude seems seems to be quite a content moggy ! That second picture is a cracker.

    Not sure what's in the first picture though as its only showing a band at the top the rest is a white square ?? Or is it meant to be a teaser ?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts