Wednesday, 11 November 2009

Another Peak to Climb







After working on a couple of Peaks for the BR green era, I remembered that I had a spare blue 45 lying around awaiting detailing & weathering. After digging it out from the attic, I realised that I'd pinched the air brake tanks from the chassis for another model.
But hey ho, I'll make some replacements from plastic rod at some point, but I did detail the cab fronts - adding wire handrails, new lamp brackets and scoring on the missing seam line.
The yellow ends were masked and re-sprayed before a bit of dirt was sprayed at it with my trusty Iwata airbrush. And much better it looks for the attention, too. Especially as it's the bulled-up version of 45114 with white roof and bodyside stripes. The clean roof looked luminous when set on my layout and benefits from a bit of exhaust staining.
I'm not sure why and when the real thing was painted thus, a quick trawl through my books and on the internet has found no real info. It looks nice, though!

2 comments:

  1. There were two of them done roundabout 1982 (OTTMH the other was 45121 but that would be guessing). Remember seeing them on my East Mids Rover.

    Why were they done? Who can tell but it didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin,
      Thanks for the comment and info. I can't imagine the roof stayed clean for very long!
      George.

      Delete