MERCEDES ACTROS MP3 COMPLETE


Having described the chassis in a previous post, here's a selection of images of the finished Actros MP3. The native American decals were supplied with the Revell kit and are, perhaps, a little incongruous on a German truck, but they do look fabulous. As someone with a passion for horses, the imagery definitely appeals to me. The decals took the best part of a day to apply, having to be cut into sections to cope with the door panels more effectively. I also flirted with disaster at one point, as the final clear coats were applied using a formula that I'd never tried before - never a good idea - and the medium didn't behave as anticipated. Thankfully, I managed to rescue the situation and, helped by Tamiya's range of polishing compounds - which I intended to use anyway - the cab's finish is virtually flawless. 

Oh, and don't ask me about the windscreen that snapped in half during installation. Thank heavens I had a second kit in stock. 


Given the challenging circumstances of the UK lockdown and interrupted access to my workshop, I'm extremely pleased with how this project turned out. The small enhancements to the Revell kit, such as the resin tyres and customised tread panels atop the chassis, plus the home-made suzie cables and plugs, have added an extra touch of class to what is already a top-class kit. 

Now I really must finish those other truck kits...


Comments

  1. Hello George,
    Another great build - wish mine were half as good as yours! Those KFS tyres certainly make a difference and I like the way you have finished them with a nice slightly weathered look which looks great against the rest of the truck. I can appreciate that the decals must have been a nightmare to fit but they do look good against the silver. How did you find the Tamiya polishing compound and did you use all three grades or just the fine?
    Woody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Woody, thanks for the positive comments - always appreciated. I got the 3 grades of Tamiya compound from www.scalemodelshop.co.uk a couple of years ago. Yes, I used all 3 and they work brilliantly with the special Tamiya applicator cloths. It didn't take too long either - the rubbing down with fine abrasives beforehand took much longer, working through the grades from 6,000 to 40,000 grits, using plenty of soapy water as a lubricant. The abrasives were from Albion Alloys.
      I'm currently working on a truck modelling book for Crowood Press, and this truck will feature heavily in it. Hopefully it'll appear sometime next year.
      Cheers,
      George.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts