DRS CLASS 20


My latest DRS Class 20 conversion is now complete. Based on a Bachmann model, it has had a number of detailing parts added from the Shawplan and PH design ranges. The conversion process will be covered in the new Model Rail DVD, The Detailing Expert, as well as in Model Rail magazine in the not too distant future.


Although I had to rush the painting and finishing a little to meet the deadline for filming, I'm still very pleased with the finished model. However, there are a few areas where the big DRS decals haven't settled over the bonnet doors correctly and, with the model in pristine condition, these tiny flaws tend to stand out. Alas, the real 20305 always appears in clean condition, so a disguising weathering coat is hard to justify!


The Shawplan radiator fan and grille make a big difference to the roof. This is a mix of old and new: an older grille etch but fan assembled from the upgraded 'Extreme Etches' set - see an earlier post on this subject.

When I pootled up to Carnforth to deliver the finished models to Telerail, I noted a long line of DRS '20s and '37s stored in the Steam Town yard. As is usually the case, I always see interesting stuff when I've not got my 'proper' camera with me.

Further interest was to be found whilst changing trains at Preston, with 31285 and the structure gauging train, plus extra ultrasonic coaches. InterCity-liveried 31454 was at the other end.

Comments

Popular Posts