BIG MERCEDES 3


Final assembly of the 1:24 Italeri Mercedes chassis is almost complete, following an initial weathering stage, involving Lifecolor acrylic paints and dry pigments. Quite a few snags were encountered, with supplied parts not fitting correctly, especially the air pipe linking the filter to the inlet manifold, which needed an extension inserting and blending in. Luckily, I had a scrap of plastic tube of the correct diameter.

More complex was the twin exhaust outlet pipes, which were not only too short, but the angles were also incorrect, so adding in a short extension wasn't possible. Instead, longer sections were spliced in, having shaped the new styrene rod to the desired shape after dipping in hot water. Quite a faff and rather frustrating, not helped by me not having any of the correct diameter rod in stock, so the new sections are fractionally thinner. Happily, it's not so noticeable after priming with a thick layer of Mr Surfacer 500, applied by hand to give a suitable texture. The rusty finish was then applied, to blend with the rest of the exhaust system.


Lots of extra details have been added to the chassis, created mostly from 'found' materials and the painted/weathered finish is not bad, given that I've not been able to use an airbrush. The use of aerosols for certain elements has helped, albeit at a financial cost. Indeed, I could probably have bought a decent airbrush for the cost of the spray cans I've amassed over the past few weeks, for this and a few other projects that are also ongoing.



Comments

  1. I feel for you George! Its almost a common factor in all the big scale truck kits that the various exhaust and engine pipework parts just don't seem to fit. Makes you wonder if the final kit prototype is actually built by the manufactures? I have spent many frustrating hours over the years trying to join two pipe parts that are never going to join without some severe intervention in the form that you describe. The unfortunate thing is that if you build the chassis and engine separately for painting g purposes you don't find the alignment issues until you attempt to bring the two together at which point there is usually some damage to the carefully painted chassis and engine! The other common factor appears to be prop-shafts that are two short and fail to join gear box to axle.

    Anyway just have to add that you have done a fantastic job on this kit so far. Weathering is perfect. Waiting to see what you do with the cab.

    On a different but related note there may be some inspiration (certainly on my list of to do projects) in the Brazilian trucking world. If you are of a certain age you may think 70's custom cars when you see what is going on. Many vids on YouTube but you may wish to have a look at these two for a taste - https://youtu.be/Do6ZnVbNing and https://youtu.be/dNMyK8rVE7c. Hope you enjoy.

    Woody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Woody. Yes, I've also found that the exhaust pipe problem has arisen on most of the large truck kits I've built, but this one has been the worst offender so far. I forgot to mention the fact that both prop shafts were far too short and had to be extended.
      Thanks for the comments re. the weathering. I'll have to refine a few areas once the cab is fitted.
      Thanks also for the links to the You Tube videos - I'll give them a watch.
      Best wishes,
      George.

      Delete
    2. Just watched those you vids - the Brazilians are bloody mad! Jacked up trucks like a 70s Ford Escort can't be a good idea!!

      Delete

Post a comment

Popular Posts