Finishing off the Trouts with a weathered finish
After loading up my fleet of new Hornby Trouts, I decided to give them a lightly weathered finish. Despite some of the review samples that we received being in factory-weathered condition, I wanted something a bit more realistic than the uniform layer of light brown paint. A handful of weathering powders is all that I used and each wagon took only about 20 minutes, so even a long rake won’t take long – just the thing for these dark December evenings…
Once the ballast load had dried out completely, a mix of ‘rusty and dusty’ shades of MIG powder was applied to the exposed areas of the hopper interior. This also helps to disguise any stains left by excess glue. A soft-bristled flat paintbrush gives best results with powders.
|For the hopper chutes, I wanted some distinct streaking effects, so Tamiya pigments – applied with a cosmetic sponge applicator – were used. A mix of ‘snow’, ‘light rust’ and ‘dark rust’ did the trick, using only vertical streaks to mimic the effects of stone being released from the hopper.|