Sunday, 18 December 2011

SUNDAY AFTERNOONS WERE MADE FOR...

... building plastic wagon kits!

Yet another mineral wagon has been assembled and has been added to the queue waiting to enter the paintshop. It's a bit cold for spraying paint out in the shed (only managed 5degC today) so I think I'll hang on and see how the weather pans out over Christmas. If I know I've a few jobs to tackle at the same time, then I don't mind cranking up the 'leckie' heater and piling on my thermals and big socks to spend a full day in the shed. Airbrushing paints should only be tried at a minimum temperature of around 12degC, or the liquid never behaves properly. The fact that I use acrylics for the vast majority of my freight stock, makes this even more crucial.

Anyway, this Parkside Dundas hopper has been a joy to build, although it's not a quick job by any means.  After all, it's quite a complex shape and the chassis takes time to get right - ensuring that both axles sit correctly. Adding weight is vital for reliable running but, as I wanted this wagon to run empty, there's limited space underneath for ballast. I managed to squeeze a fair bit of Liquid Gravity - secured with Roket Hot thin cyano glue (both from Deluxe Materials) - into the hopper base and behind the bufferbeams. As I'll be fitting working coupling hooks, I had to leave space for them to be fitted, with notches cut in the inner ribs too.

I've a few more Parkside kits to work on over the Festive period, although not all of them are for my colliery project. There's a trestle wagon that I'm planning on upgrading and a brake van too. Plus a couple of 'N' gauge vehicles for a bit of variety...


No comments:

Post a Comment