THAT'S N-TERTAINMENT!


Not a lot of time for practical modelling over last weekend, but I did manage to finish off an N gauge Parkside Dundas wagon kit, started a few months back. I'm quite pleased with my weathering efforts in 2mm scale, as it's not something I do too regularly. Mind you, my eyeballs are still aching a bit after trying to hand-letter the wagon's number and weight markings. Think I'll dig out my magnifying glass for the next one.

I'm building a handful of these wagons to add some variety to my small fleet of Farish 16t minerals, aiming for a rendition of a typical late 1970s semi-fitted coal working, ostensibly to run behind this Farish Class 44. The loco needs a good dose of the distressing and weathering treatment at some point, for a truly authentic period scene. One or two of these wagon kits have been modified during assembly, blanking-off some of the side doors and other such things; just to keep things interesting...

The Parkside 24.5t mineral is good fun to build, being a pretty simple box on wheels. It's hard to appreciate from the photo, but the quality of the moulded detail is impressive and the metal buffers add some extra refinement.

Comments

  1. Fantastic weathering on the mineral wagon which buffers have you used?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you print the lettering on a white transfer? I don't see the added value of hand painting it, unless it's for the 50's model building look. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    The turned brass buffers were supplied with the Parkside kit and are really impressive. The hand-painted numbers are a copy of the real wagon that had received a new black patch and white numerals during an ad-hoc repair. It certainly hadn't been done by a trained sign-writer as they were only just legible!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts