Saturday, 14 April 2012

KNIGHTWING LOCO ALL WHITE

Primer coat goes on, Blues go out!


While struggling to handle the tension of listening to the Liverpool v Everton cup semi final, I retreated to my shed with my lucky radio and red scarf. A bit of priming went on, along with a few livery coats on a couple of wagons and a carriage, but I was finding it hard to concentrate. And when Carroll scored L'pool's winner at the end, I almost spilt dirty thinners all down my kecks! In my present euphoria, I'm thinking of not painting the Knightwing shunter red instead of yellow, as originally planned...

The boy comes good - two late winners in two games for Oor Andy! (Photo taken from BBC Sport)

4 comments:

  1. Personally, I think you've got three choices with this kit; NCB blue, yellow, or the red ochre with yellow lining as seen on one of NCB's sentinels. I think the latter wouldn't look so good on this loco. I'd be far more tempted to apply the yellow colour scheme for two reasons: one, it's an attractive livery, and two, it would lead as a natural progression from your older locos painted in the blue. You've got the NCB tipper wagons in the yellow, too, so I think this would be a nice friend for those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chad,
    Thanks for the comment - just read it while writing up the latest entry on how I'd painted the loco yellow after all! You're right - this scheme will bring the layout up to date and the loco will look at home shunting air braked hoppers around the colliery sidings. I'm also working on an ex-BR Class 08 for the 1970s/early 80s period - watch this space...
    Cheers,
    George.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi George, What did you use for NCB Blue - there doesn't appear to be a match available any more - It used to be available through Precision - but that's a long time ago! ScottishModeller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I've used Humbrol's No.104 matt enamel (Oxford Blue), which is a close match for NCB blue. Alternatively, I've also mixed my own when I've wanted to be more accurate. A combination of BR Provincial dark blue with a little purple (Porterbrook purple!) - both from Phoenix - has got the best results. See:
      http://georgedentmodelmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/ncb-gronk-signed-off.html
      and:
      http://georgedentmodelmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/bettsy-at-work.html
      Cheers,
      George.

      Delete